WYBS Code of Conduct
Develop a strong, clean, healthy body, mind and soul.
Develop a strong urge for sportsman-like conduct.
Develop understanding of and respect for the rules.
Develop courage in defeat, tolerance and modesty in victory.
Develop control over emotions and speech.
Develop spirit of cooperation and team play.
Develop into real, true citizens.
WYBS welcomes all eligible Participants to be a part of its baseball and softball programs. WYBS requires all Participants to acknowledge that proper behavior is an essential ingredient to our success. All Participants are required to review and abide by our Code of Conduct as a condition of eligibility. Any Participant who fails to follow our Code of Conduct is subject to disciplinary action by WYBS, including suspension, termination and loss of eligibility of all of participation privileges, including attending practices, games and other WYBS events.
Baseball and softball are games that connect generations and childhood experiences often generate memories that last a lifetime. Many adults recall vividly their experiences playing youth baseball and softball, including their teams, coaches and teammates. Our goal is to ensure a positive experience of children participating in our programs continues this tradition. To ensure the behavior of all involved in our leagues promotes good sportsmanship, responsibility and the best elements of team competition WYBS requires that each player, guardian, family member, spectator, coach, board member, league officer and volunteer (collectively “Participants”) agree to comply with this Code:
- I will not force my child to sign-up to play WYBS. Once committed to a team, I will use my best efforts to encourage and enable my child to participate fully in his or her team's practices and games and use his or her best efforts to practice, seek personal improvement in skills as a teammate and learn the game.
- I will remember, and remind the children playing, that baseball and softball are challenging games - where even the best professional players fail to get a hit more than 3 out of every 10 at bats - and that success is measured by effort and attitude, not the individual success of a player or the outcome of a game.
- I understand that children participate in sports to have fun, build relationships and become better players. I will promote a league appropriate emphasis on competition and accentuate the benefits derived from competing as an individual and team over the importance of winning.
- I understand that youth baseball and softball are for the children who are playing, not the adults, and that less than 1% of children who play sports will receive a college sports scholarship, and far fewer play at any professional level.
- I will be a positive role model for my child and other Participants of all ages by encouraging good sportsmanship and positive support for all players, coaches, umpires and spectators at every game, practice and associated activities. I will ensure the same behavior from my guests and family members. I will talk first and predominantly about the positive things in each practice and game. I will emphasize improvement and success for each individual player and avoid comparisons to the more or less skilled players.
- I will not engage in any unsportsmanlike conduct with any umpire, coach, player, parent, spectator or any other person, including, without limitation, booing or taunting, or verbally criticizing umpire calls, coaching decisions, plays in the field, or game results. I will not use any profane or abusive language or gestures. I will ensure the same behavior from my guests and family members.
- I will emphasize that mistakes, errors, bad calls and losses are part of any game, and life, and work with my child to: (i) develop strategies to learn from these events, (ii) not dwell on them and (iii) develop strategies to move forward to the next play or situation.
- I will not engage in or enable any behavior or practice that may endanger the health or well-being of any of the Participants at any game, practice or associated activity, including, without limitation, any inappropriate physical contact or verbal I will ensure the same behavior from my guests and family members. I understand any conduct of this kind by my guest or family members may result in disciplinary action against me.
- I will ensure that my family promotes respect for all players, coaches, umpires, spectators and Participants, regardless of race, color, gender, playing ability or any other category. I will not make or disseminate any critical or derogatory remark, including by email or other electronic media, that are designated to harm, or would have the likely effect of harming, another's reputation or standing in the community. I will handle any issues or complaints that I may have in a constructive manner and in a private setting with one or more WYBS board members or as is otherwise appropriate under the circumstances.
- I will learn the rules of the game and the leagues in which we participate. I will ensure that my player understands the rules and the importance of playing by the rules. I will not promote or engage in any activity designed to avoid or disregard the rules of the game or any league, or manipulate any process to obtain a result inconsistent with our rules, including any process for selecting teams.
- I will abide by and respect the calls of the umpires and coaches on the field, and I understand that our umpires, who are often children in middle and high school who are learning the game, and coaches may make unintentional, inadvertent mistakes. I will not challenge or demonstrate any objection to a judgment call made by an umpire or coach during a game, and I will ensure the same behavior from my guests and family members. I understand and agree that any challenge or argument with a judgment call of an umpire or coach may result in disciplinary action against me.
- I will not question, object, challenge or confront any coach, umpire or Participant on the field, except to prevent injury to a Participant. I shall calmly, and constructively, engage in all discussions witha coach, umpire or Participant at a mutually acceptable time and place away from the field, practice area, view and hearing of any players regarding any complaints, remarks or observations I may about an athletic event. I will not criticize the judgment or abilities of any coach or umpire before my child or other children, as this may negatively influence their enthusiasm for participating. I will not engage a coach to raise any complaint or negative remark or observation about an athletic event until twenty-four hours after the event (the “24 hour rule”).
- I will not act like a "coach from the sideline" unless I am actually a coach of the team. I will limit my comments to encouragement and support for the Participants, and will ensure the same behavior from my guests and family members.
- I will inform WYBS and my child's coaches of any physical or emotional condition that may affect the safety of my child or other Participants.
- I will abide by the judgments of the administrators of the league, including any player tryout or team selection process. If I disagree with any WYBS policy or process, including any team selection, I will calmly, and constructively, raise my concerns with the WYBS Board of Directors.
- I will respect the playing fields and practice facilities. I will participate in ensuring that no damage to or theft of property occurs, and that all fields and facilities are maintained in good condition, with all trash and other items properly disposed of or removed from the field or facility.
- I understand that WYBS welcomes my participation, and will work with me in an effort to find a suitable position as a coach, team manager, board member or other open position if I volunteer. I understand that if I am selected to serve as a volunteer, I may be subject to additional rules and behavioral requirements that I will abide by when serving.
- I understand that the WYBS Board of Directors may establish a committee and processes to review and take action in connection with any potential violation of this Code or other action inconsistent with the spirit of this Code or the interests of WYBS. I agree to comply with the conclusions resulting from such a process.
- I understand that the WYBS Board of Directors may from time to time amend and modify this Code and, upon publication to the WYBS website, will be the applicable Code of I understand that the WYBS Board of Directors may from time to time publish guidelines for disciplinary action associated with violation of this Code of Conduct, but that any such guidelines are only to be illustrative, and are not binding upon WYBS.
- I understand that this Code is not an exhaustive recitation of WYBS policy for every possible unsportsmanlike situation. I understand I will be expected to comply with the spirit and intent of this Code, and WYBS decisions enforcing the Code and its intended spirit. The WYBS Board of Directors reserves all rights and authority to suspend, terminate or revoke the eligibility of all of participation privileges for any Participant that we determine, in accordance with our rules, violates any provision, or spirit, of this Code.
Adopted by WYBS Board of Directors June 2016, updated June 2021.